Treñas Boulevard closed for 6 months



The Treñas Boulevard along the Iloilo River will be closed starting Dec. 5, 2011 to allow the construction of the P48-million Esplanade project and the rehabilitation and widening of the 1.2 kilometer road.
City Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog said the closure might last for six months or until May 2012 even as the contractor had already deployed heavy equipment in the area.
Joggers and other physical wellness buffs are enjoined to consider and look for other venues for their exercises pending the construction of the Esplanade project out to beautify and enhance the boulevard along the riverbank.
The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) has bid out the project last month with Roprim Construction declared as the winning bidder for its P38 million offer.
Mabilog said the Treñas Boulevard was a component of the Iloilo floodway project, which is not yet turned over to the city government by DPWH.
He also said that there was no more legal impediment as to the ownership of the area since it was owned by the government.
The Esplanade project was facilitated by Ilonggo Senator Franklin M. Drilon in a move to protect and conserve the Iloilo River. International Filipino architect Paolo Alcazaren desined the Esplanade, patterned after a similar river project in Singapore, which he also designed.
The area will have a view deck, palm trees, lamp posts, food kiosks and a giant Dagoy statue, depicting the city’s famous Dinagyang Festival. (PNA)
RMA/LCPendon/vlo

www.pna.gov.ph
                                       Photo: Hawili Hurom


Post a Comment

Yahoo News: TOP STORIES