Ariva Santa Barbara!


Santa Barbara covers four centuries. The  Agustinian  Archives, Vol. 17-18, which record the documents on the missionary achievements of the Agustinian missionaries, bares the historical note that as early as 1617, the missionaries attended to the spiritual ministration of a community or “pueblo”  then known as Catmon. The name was derived from a fruit-bearing tree which served as an imposing landmark in the vicinity. The place was a rich and fertile plain traversed by the Salug, now Tigum and Aganan  Rivers, producing rice, corn, sugar, mongo and tobacco. During that time Catmon was only a “Visita Catmon” of  Jaro vicariate. 
Lately, in 1760, Catmon was canonically established as an independent parish, whose patroness was Santa Barbara and the settlement which was constituted into a “pueblo”was name after her. Its total population at the time wwas 15,094. In 1845, its inhabitants reached a total of 19,719 and it covered area which are now the Municipalities of Zarraga, New Lucena and a part of Leganes and Pavia.

SANTA BARBARA HOME OF THE OLDEST GOLF COURSE IN THE PHILIPPINES

THE KAHILWAYAN FESTIVAL! Cry of Sta. Barbara





Post a Comment

Yahoo News: TOP STORIES